Sophie Blackall Illustration

Drawings and Snippets and Breaking News, (but more snippets than breaking news).

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Finishing Lines



I have finally, finally delivered Spinster Goose, Twisted Rhymes for Naughty Children (written by Lisa Wheeler to be published by Atheneum). At the first production meeting about two years ago, I looked at my feet and muttered nervously that I wanted to set these pictures in a Victorian workhouse and for the pervading atmosphere to be bleak. Ann Bobco, Namrata Tripathi and Ginee Seo were dreamy collaborators... The proposal was met with hearty guffaws and slaps on the back and free reins to go forth and draw a world of mean geese and dunces and urchiny urchins. Ahh... what fun I had.

9 comments:

Maia said...

Fabulous! I adore the first image. My daughter got her first Ivy + Bean the recently, and though she's still too young for the stories (not in school yet) she is attached to it and pores over it.

Hilary Wagner said...

These illustrations are just so good! They take me to that far off world all children (and adults) want to escape to!

xoxo -- Hilary

christine grace olanio said...

What an absolute dream! This inspires me to get my hands on a children's book.

Lauren Castillo said...

These are absolutely stunning, Sophie! Can't wait for this book!

Lisa Wheeler said...

I absolutely love them! I knew you were the perfect choice for Spoinster Goose. Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh I can't wait to see even more! It's looking just achingly beautiful and enigmatic. Those workhouse souls are very dear. Oohh can't wait. Good on you for piping up at the first meeting! I am as charmed and inspired as ever xx d'winy

kookaburra said...

I will buy this book the instant it's available for mere mortals to purchase!

Dean Grey said...

Love the first one the best!

-Dean

Elba Pessanha said...

Você é maravilhosa!!!
Coloquei uma ilustração sua no meu blog.
Tem algum problema?
Obrigada se responder. :)